Jan 14, 2016
When was the last time you had your jewelry coverage reviewed?
The new year is a great time to review your insurance coverage with your agent. If you gave or received jewelry during the holidays and/or plan to do so on Valentine’s Day, you may consider adding or increasing your coverage limits to better protect your collection. It’s also important to periodically appraise pieces that have been in your collection for many years, including family heirlooms you inherited. While the sentimental value of these items may be priceless, you will have peace of mind knowing they are adequately insured.
Standard homeowners policies may not provide adequate coverage for your jewelry. Under certain circumstances, many policies limit jewelry coverage to $1,000–$2,000.1 Would that be enough for you and your family?
How Nationwide Private Client responds
Whether your jewelry collection is worth $25,000 or $5 million, we have a solution for you. With a Nationwide Private Client homeowners policy2 and added protection endorsement, we cover up to $25,000 for lost, misplaced or stolen jewelry.3 If your jewelry collection is valued over $25,000, you will want to consider our personal collections2 policy, which includes:
- Blanket coverage: We offer blanket coverage of up to $10,000 per item — with an option to increase that amount up to a maximum of $100,000 per item.
- Scheduled/itemized coverage: We have the ability to insure up to a $5 million jewelry schedule.
- Inflation protection: If the market value of a scheduled item has increased and exceeds its itemized amount of coverage, we will pay its market value as measured immediately before a covered loss, up to 150% of the itemized coverage amount for that article.
- Types of losses: We cover losses from theft, damage and mysterious disappearance if you lose your jewelry. If one part of a pair or set is lost, stolen or damaged, coverage is available to replace the entire pair/set (standard homeowners policies typically only cover theft).
- New purchases: If you already have jewelry scheduled on a personal collections policy with us, your new jewelry purchases will be covered for up to 90 days from acquisition for up to 25% of the total itemized limit stated on the declarations page of your policy, even if you haven’t yet notified us of your purchase.
- Reduced rate for jewelry in home safe: You may qualify for reduced insurance rates for jewelry pieces that are kept in a bank vault, safety deposit box or qualifying home safe.
- Jewelry on loan: If you borrow jewelry, we include coverage for up to 90 days from the date you acquired the borrowed item(s) for up to 25% of the total itemized limit on your policy.
- No deductible: With a personal collections policy, no deducible applies.
How you may be at risk
Consider the following scenarios and how we would respond compared to a standard homeowners policy:
Why it’s important for you
You want to feel secure that your jewelry is adequately insured. Your insurance agent can help you determine the right protection for your jewelry. We understand that your jewelry is an investment — both sentimental and monetary. A personal collections policy from Nationwide Private Client will give you added security above and beyond what a standard homeowners policy will cover.
Nationwide Private Client offers these added benefits:
- Claims: Exceptional claims handling provided by Nationwide Private Client.
- Special limits for jewelry included on homeowners policy: The Nationwide Private Client homeowners policy covers up to $10,000 of lost, misplaced or stolen jewelry, with limits up to $25,000 with our protection endorsement (deductible applies).
- Multi policy discounts: When you add a personal collections policy, you may qualify for a discount on your homeowners policy.
Why Nationwide Private Client
Nationwide Private Client is dedicated to helping protect the assets and reputations of our clients. Our highly personalized insurance products, services and concierge-style claim management are thoughtfully designed to meet the distinctive needs of affluent individuals and families. We are committed to providing you a superior experience whenever you need assistance.
Nationwide, a Fortune 1005 company, is one of the largest and strongest diversified insurance and financial services organizations in the U.S. and is rated A1 by Moody’s and A+ by both A.M. Best and Standard & Poor’s.6
- Artigem Replacement Services provides jewelry appraisal services at a discounted rate for Nationwide Private Client policyholders. Find them online at replacementservices.com.
2Limitations and exclusion may apply. See policy for details or contact your Nationwide Private Client agent.
4Most insurance companies will take the deductible off the aggregate loss.
5Based on revenue, Fortune (June 2015).
6Ratings affirmed 7/21/16 by Moody’s, 7/7/16 by A.M. Best, and 4/22/16 by Standard & Poor’s