Sep 29, 2014
For Nationwide Private Client policyholders, our approach to travel security extends beyond your insurance. Proper coverage is an important first step, but preparation is the key to prevention — especially when it comes to theft and your personal safety. To reduce your risk, consider incorporating the following prevention techniques into your everyday life.
Travel safety tips
- In airports, it is important to guard your personal information. Keep your itinerary and identification in a safe place until a security agent requests it
- In hotels, close the door securely whenever you are in your room and make use of all the locking devices. Always ask for a room located away from stairways or elevators
- Know your hotel’s evacuation routes in case of an emergency
- Protect your room key and never disclose your room number to anyone. If the front desk clerk says your room number out loud, ask for another room
- Refrain from displaying large amounts of cash or expensive jewelry in public
- Place all valuables in your hotel safe or hotel management’s safe deposit box
- Carry only the amount of cash absolutely necessary for your trip and use credit cards whenever possible. If your credit card is stolen, it can easily be canceled to limit your loss
- Avoid telling the hotel staff or anyone you may meet that you are traveling alone. Criminals target those traveling alone so be vague as to where you are staying or the number of people in your party
- Park your car in a well-lit area with high pedestrian traffic near other vehicles. Keep packages and valuables out of sight in your vehicle — either under a seat, in the glove box or trunk. Be certain your windows are rolled up and doors are locked when leaving your vehicle unattended
- If traveling abroad, take extra care for your safety. Consult the US Department of State “A Safe Trip Abroad” information for more helpful tips
We offer this information to assist our Nationwide Private Client policyholders in making decisions that can help mitigate your risk. While we cannot address every possible risk or guarantee these tips will work for you, our goal is to support your efforts to protect your family and yourself. As always, the Nationwide Private Client Risk Solutions team is ready to work relentlessly for you. For more information about Travel Security please contact your nearest agent or the Customer Solutions Center.
Download: Travel Safety Tips (pdf)