In order to better protect your interests, we believe in keeping you informed and educated. Private Client policies and coverages are important first steps in guarding your assets, but the right preparation can help save lives.
Consider the following tips, in addition to discussing them with your Private Client agent:
- Create an emergency plan that documents escape routes and meeting places.
- Learn how to shut off gas, electric and water lines and keep tools in a convenient place.
- Take a training course in first aid and CPR at your local American Red Cross office.
- Make an inventory of your valuables, along with serial numbers and purchase dates and keep a copy of it in a safe, offsite location.
- Account for your pets and make sure they are properly identified.
- Create an emergency kit, including:
- A three-day supply of water (one gallon per person, per day)
- High-energy and ready-to-eat foods
- First aid kit, vitamins, prescription medication and sanitation supplies
- Tools, flashlights, waterproof matches, dust masks and work gloves
- Dry clothing, blankets and children's essentials
- Whistle and a crank- or battery-powered radio
- Map, copies of driver's licenses, credit cards, insurance policies and a list of resources in your area
It is especially important to involve your children in the planning process. Make sure they know what to expect during a disaster, where to go and how they can help. As a Private Client, a variety of resources are available to you, free of cost, through our Pre-Catastrophe Response Consultation program.